Posted on November 16, 2018
Category: News Tags: , ,

Work on a major bridge project which will help shape the future of Hull and connect key sites across the city officially started today.

Princes Quay Bridge will help link the city’s marina with the southern end of Princes Dock. The bridge will improve access and make it easier for pedestrians, cyclists and disabled users to cross the busy A63.

This £12 million Highways England project is being part funded with a £4m contribution from the Humber LEP’s Local Growth Fund programme, secured through its Growth Deals with Government and part of the Government’s commitment to the Northern Powerhouse.

This exciting engineering project will cross the main route into the city and was officially begun by Lord Haskins at an event at the marina work site this morning.

Highways England senior project manager James Leeming said:

“This start of work is great news and a milestone we have been working towards for some time. The bridge will provide easy access across the A63, helping link communities, shops and business. The bridge has been designed to allow further development around the waterfront and is an important part of Hull’s plans for the future.”

Councillor Daren Hale, portfolio holder for economic investment and regeneration, said:

“To finally witness the commencement of this scheme is nothing short of a landmark moment for everyone who has been involved with bringing this project to fruition, including my previous colleague, Martin Mancey, who worked tirelessly to achieve this milestone.

“Our city’s transformation is well underway, and continually improving Hull’s transport infrastructure to support sustainable economic growth is a huge priority for the council. As well as delivering improved air quality targets for this area of the city.

“The bridge will connect the heart of the city to its thriving waterfront and is a critical element of our long-term regeneration plan for Hull.”

Lord Haskins, Chair of the Humber Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) said:

“The Princes Quay Bridge will be an eye-catching link across the A63 between Hull’s Old Town and the marina, which will benefit businesses in the area and the community who live, work and visit this area of the city.

“This link will improve safety when crossing the busy road, and will of course impact positively on future developments. I’m sure that this will prove to be a fantastic addition to the city’s infrastructure, and I am pleased that this project is being delivered with support through the LEP’s Growth Deal programme. It is an important step towards the wider A63 Castle Street upgrade, which we look forward to seeing proceed.”

Jake Berry, Local Growth Minister added:

“We’re committed to boosting economic growth across the whole of the UK and building a Britain fit for the future.

“The beginning of Princess Quay Bridge project is a significant milestone for Hull. The new bridge will not only give people safer and better access across the A63, but it will also enhance connectivity, both for residents and local businesses. Projects such as these are fundamental to the government’s vision for a stronger economy across the Northern Powerhouse.”

Work has also recently started on the A63 at Roger Millward Way (formerly Garrison Road) to add an extra lane through the middle of the roundabout and install traffic signals will help to reduce congestion and smooth the flow of traffic.

The £6m improvements to the roundabout are being funded as part of a nationwide £220m Congestion Relief Fund which was announced by the Government last year to help tackle congestion at key locations.

Work on Roger Millward Way is expected to take around 9 months to complete and Princes Quay Bridge is expected to be finished by early 2020. Both schemes are being carried out together under one contractor to minimise disruption and to make the best use of the funds available.

The schemes will be completed in advance of the major A63 Castle Street project which will improve access to the port and city centre and is due to begin in 2020. A Development Consent Order application has now been submitted. Information on the application can be found on the Planning Inspectorate’s website and registration to take part in the planning process opened on 7 November and closes on Thursday 20 December 2018.

These schemes are all part of the government’s £15 billion roads investment strategy, which is transforming the road network and improving connections between cities.

More details are available at www.highwaysengland.co.uk/a63hullpqbridge and updates will be provided via Twitter using the #a63hullpqbridge