This page explains what the Humber LEP is doing in response to the Government’s announcements on industrial strategy.
The Government published a green (consultation) paper, Building our Industrial Strategy, in January 2017. It sets out the ten “pillars” of the Government’s approach:
- Investing in science, research & innovation
- Developing skills
- Upgrading infrastructure
- Supporting businesses to start and grow
- Improving procurement
- Encouraging trade and inward investment
- Delivering affordable energy and clean growth
- Cultivating world-leading sectors
- Driving growth across the whole country
- Creating the right institutions to bring together sectors and places
The pillars have a lot in common with the priorities in the Humber Strategic Economic Plan (SEP).
The Government held a consultation which closed on 17 April 2017. This is expected to be followed by a white paper (statement of Government policy) later this year.
The Humber’s response
The Humber LEP and local authorities submitted a single joint response to the Government’s consultation. This was informed by engagement with around 120 businesses and around 20 other stakeholders. Our engagement in this first phase included:
- Asking our partners in business membership organisations to feed in the views of their members
- Specific engagement with small businesses, led by our Small Business Champion Graham Cross
- 1:1 contact through local authority Key Account Management
- Discussions at our sub-boards, sector groups and Skills Network
- An online survey
You can download the Humber response below.
What happens next?
Later this year, the Humber’s strategy will be refreshed to take account of the Government’s new approach, other changes such as the decision to leave the EU, and the progress made in delivering the SEP since 2014. There will be further consultation with businesses and stakeholders as part of this.
We will update this page with more information and other opportunities to be involved as our work progresses.