The LEP is in a unique position to influence policy and negotiate additional funding for our region due to our relationship with Government and strategic leadership on behalf of business, education and training and Humber local council partners.
Getting the groundwork right is a pre-requisite to deliver jobs, housing and private investment, and this can involve work to break down barriers to sustainable economic growth.
Our Strategic Economic Plan (SEP) identified key infrastructure improvements that are needed to develop the Humber as a natural choice for future investors. These included protection against flooding, better connectivity and improvements to the physical environment.
- Piloted the Government’s “Single Conversation” and subsequently signed a Memorandum of Understanding between the LEP, local planning authorities and statutory regulators to smooth the process for major developments
- Already the largest nationwide, gained additional ten acres to Humber Enterprise Zone
- Backed North East Lincolnshire Council’s campaign to retain direct rail services between Cleethorpes and Manchester Airport, and lobbied for rail improvements across the Humber
- Gained Government commitment for electrification of the rail line between Hull and the East Coast Main Line
- Supported rail improvements between Doncaster and the south Humber ports which will increase freight capacity
- Worked with MPs and local authorities to develop the business case for further investment in flood defences around the Humber Estuary over the next ten years
- Secured investment to support flood defence work which will enable the 6,000-home Lincolnshire Lakes development near Scunthorpe to go ahead
- Secured investment for road improvements to improve connectivity in Hull, Goole, Bridlington, Stallingborough and Melton Ross
- Supported the regeneration of Hull’s Old Town and acceleration of the development in Cleethorpes Town Centre, both of which are central to the visitor economy
Our work in this area is led by our Investment & Regulation Board.